They do it slightly differently in Scandinavia.
Above are Danish students wearing their graduation caps. Just across the water, in Sweden, the headgear is the same, just in a different colour, the caps seeming to replicate the colours of the relative country’s flags.
The student cap is a very much a tradition in Denmark, and there is a long list of special traditions attached to the cap:
– It is bad luck to wear the cap before you have passed your final exam
– You write your last grade inside the cap
– Classmates and friends write messages in the cap
– Tooth marks on the shade of the cap mean good luck
– The students with the biggest and smallest cap in a class have to buy a round of beer for their classmates
– You get a notch in the shade if you throw up because you have drunk too much
– If you jump in the harbour wearing only the cap you get a drawing of a wave in your cap
– Drinking a case of beer in less than 24 hours allows you to wear a beer capsule as a tassel for the cap.